This is the concluding part of the LDR post that broke the blog views record. Let’s do it again :mrgreen:.
- Stay honest with each other: Talking about our feelings of fear, insecurity, jealousy, apathy, whatsoever helps us to be more committed to this than ever. If you try to hide anything from your partner, that secret will sooner or later swallow you up from inside out. Don’t try to deal with things all by yourself. Be open and honest with each other. Let your partner help you and give you the support you need. it’s better to look at the problem during its initial stage than to only disclose it when it’s all too late.
- Do things together: We try to do a lot of things together and its mostly online though. Things like play an online game together, watch a video on Instagram at the same time, sing to each other on Skype, take a walk together outside while video-calling each other, go online-shopping together. You really have to be creative and spontaneous about it.
- Do similar things: Just because it feels good and makes us closer, we recommend books, TV shows, movies, music, news and etc. to each other. When we read, watch and listen to the same things, we get to have more topics in common to talk about. This helps us create some shared experiences even though we are living apart.
- Stay positive: Constantly injecting positive energy into long distance relationship helps to keep it alive. Yes, I sometimes feel alone but I remind myself about what the future holds. One good trick to staying positive is to be grateful all the time. Being thankful that I have someone to love — someone who also loves me back, being thankful for the little things, like the gifts that arrived safely in my mailbox the other day, being thankful for each other’s health and safety etc.
- Gift a personal object for the other person to hold on to: We gifted each other wrist bands made of clothing and beads. There is power in a memento. Be it a small pendent, a ring, a keychain, a CD of songs and videos, or a bottle of fragrance. We often attach meanings to the little things and items found in our everyday life, whether knowingly or not. This is what we all do — we try to store memories in physical things, in hope that when our mind fails us, we can look or hold on to something that will help us remember.
- Give each other pet names: Because it’s cute. It keeps the lovey-dovey thing going.
- Snail-mail it: Mail each other postcards and hand-written love letters. Send each other gifts across the globe from time to time. Flower deliveries on birthdays, anniversaries and Valentine’s Day. Shop online and surprise each other with cool T-shirts etc. I haven’t done this yet, he is leading in this.
- Make visits to each other: Visits are the highlight of every long distance relationship you know. After all the waiting, you finally get to meet each other to fulfill all the little things like holding hands, taking walks etc. which are all common to other couples but so very special for people in long distance relationships. It will be like fireworks, glitter bombs, confetti, rainbows and butterflies everywhere. Well this comes last just because we haven’t done it yet!
So I found this site that has a forum which helps LDR’s share their issues, see LDR’s love quotes, order his and hers clothing from the site to be delivered to you and bae, etc. You should visit the site to find out more.
Are you in a LDR or about to be in one? What other tips help you have a better relationship and how helpful do you think this post is? I would love to know. Please drop your tips in the comment box below.